Posted: January 30, 2023
Youth Opportunities Unlimited
Reporting to the Youth Shelter Manager and the Youth Shelter Team Leader, the Youth Shelter Worker will be responsible for the successful day-to-day operations of the Youth Shelter including conducting intakes/discharges, assessments, and providing individual supports to youth accessing our shelter. Qualified candidates possess exceptional communication and de-escalation skills, work well in a fast paced and dynamic environment, and hold values that support our corporate vision of being “A community where youth are embraced and will thrive”.
Specific responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
- Facilitates daily programming in accordance to the standards and policies and procedures of the YOU Youth Shelter
- Administering assessments to youth (e.g. VI-SPDAT) and initiating participant’s plans as soon as possible (e.g. diversion, family reconnection, rapid rehousing, or shelter intake, etc.).
- Provide appropriate community referrals and supports to participants
- Write participant case notes, occurrence reports, shift change forms in a timely manner
- Enforce shelter rules and expectations in accordance with policies and procedures
- Responsible for conducting security checks and identifying safety and security needs
- Receive donations from the community
- Utilize successful de-escalation strategies to support youth experiencing trauma, mental health, or behavioral challenges in accordance to our policies and procedures.
- Assist and maintain the general cleanliness of the shelter including keeping workspaces tidy, laundering of linens, and preparing food for food service, clean up and ensure all supplies are available.
Specific qualifications to include:
- Completion of post-secondary education at a college or university level in a human relations or social services field or combined equivalent education
- Experience working with individuals experiencing homelessness, mental health, trauma, and addictions
- Ability to workdays, evenings, weekends, and overnights
- Current Police Vulnerable Sector Check
- Current First Aid & CPR Certificate Level C
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks, meeting targets and deadlines
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 365 including SharePoint, Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
- Must have access to reliable transportation
amandao [at] you.ca